PRESTON REMEMBERS 1914-1918

HIGHLIGHTS

The rededication ceremony on 13th June 2014

Rededication of Preston War Memorial

Preston Remembers began with the restoration of the Preston War Memorial, including a new dedication to those people of Preston who had given their lives in conflict since 1945.

On the 13th June 2014, a rededication ceremony was held, led by the Right Worshipful Mayor of Preston, Councillor Nicholas Pomfret.

In front of the War Memorial stood the Ceremonial drums of the 4th Battalion of the Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment. Following a procession of a Civic Regalia and the arrival of the Colour Party and Guards from the 2nd Battalion with the Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment, led by the band of King’s Division, the Right Worshipful Mayor of Preston, Councillor Nicholas Pomfret, introduced the ceremony.

The Vicar of Preston, Father Timothy  Lipscombe, gave the blessing which was followed by the Rededication of the Memorial by the Mayor of Preston and a verse by John Bailey, Taking A Stand, was read by Lord Shuttleworth KCVO, Lord-Lieutenant of Lancashire.
A short while was taken for the laying of wreaths which was succeeded by the National Anthem and then the Colour Party and Guards marched off Market Square.

Preston can be proud of all those who have fallen in conflict, and indeed it is. With the newly rededicated War Memorial, there is now a place for people, young and old, to go to and remember and pay respect to all of those who we will never forget.

Monday, June 16, 2014